I know what you’re thinking… Can this really be the first low-carb rum cocktail you’ve made?! And the answer is yes. If you’re a type one diabetic over the age of 21, you are probably aware of the pure destruction that a Mai Tai, or any rum drink for that matter, can have on your blood sugars. The majority of rum-infused drinks are made with dark rum and packed with high-sugar ingredients like pineapple juice, orange juice, etc. Now, this may bring you to your next question…. how the heck did you make a low carb Mai Tai?! Well, let me tell you!
I picked up Atlantico Platino Rum from my local Top Shelf Wine & Spirits, my favorite place to find specialty liquor for all of my cocktails. From there, I figured out where I would bring in specific flavors without using high-sugar ingredients. I decided that some flavors would come from extracts, some would come from muddled fruit, and some would come from sparkling seltzers. After some experimenting, I found the result I was looking for — a refreshing and low carb twist on the classic Mai Tai.
Blood Orange Pomegranate Mai Tai
- 2 oz. Atlantico Platino Rum from Top Shelf Wine & Spirits (I used white rum, you can also use a dark rum as long as it doesn’t contain added flavors or sugars)
- 3 oz. pineapple flavored sparkling water (I used Perrier)
- 1 oz. pomegranate flavored sparkling water (I used Sanpellegrino’s Pomegranate & Blackcurrant Momenti)
- Juice of 1/2 a blood orange
- a few chunks of pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- Optional: Maraschino cherries with stems attached for garnish
☆ If you’re looking for an even sweeter option, add a squirt of pomegranate or cherry flavored water enhancer (like Mio or Crystal Light). ☆
- Muddle a few pineapple chunks in your cocktail shaker (save a few pieces for garnish).
- Add ice to the shaker and combine muddled pineapple chunks, extracts, lime juice, blood orange juice, and rum. Shake well.
- Strain into a cold glass over ice.
- Top with both flavors of sparkling water, and garnish with pineapple and Maraschino cherry. Enjoy!
And that’s how to make my low-carb Blood Orange Pomegranate Mai Tai! Be sure to tag me in your photos with the hashtag #CupofOjCocktail. Discover all of my monthly low carb cocktail recipes, and stay tuned for a brand new recipe next month!