Our first mezcal cocktail creation is here as the perfect, garden-inspired start to springtime! The smoky mezcal pairs brilliantly with the herbal notes of the basil and cucumber, making this cocktail a savory addition to your evening festivities. Shake these ingredients together for a refreshing drink to celebrate any warm-weather weekend.
SMOKY BASIL MARGARITA
I used Gem + Bolt Mezcal from my local Top Shelf Wine & Spirits, my favorite place to find specialty liquor for all of my cocktails. Gem + Bolt’s mantra is “Make art, share plant awareness, celebrate, repeat.”, and if that’s not completely on-brand with my interests, I don’t know what is.
- 2 oz of Gem + Bolt Mezcal (I got mine from Top Shelf Wine + Spirits)
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- the juice of two limes
- 1/4 cucumber
- lime flavored sparkling water (I used La Croix)
- salt for the rim
For a sweeter option: Basil Stevia Simple Syrup
- Bring one cup of water to a boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of stevia, a few sprigs of basil, and let it simmer at low heat for about 5-10 minutes until stevia has completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Let it cool at room temperature before using, refrigerate the rest.
Lazy option: Drop a few drops of Trader Joe’s Liquid Stevia into your glass.
- Run a lime slice over the rim of the glass and dip it into a plate of salt.
- Muddle the cucumber and basil together.
- Combine muddled cucumber and basil, mezcal, ice, and lime juice (optional: basil stevia simple syrup) in a cocktail shaker + shake well.
- Strain into a rocks or margarita glass over ice.
- Top with sparkling water, garnish with cucumber and basil, and enjoy!
And that’s how to make a Low Carb Smoky Basil Margarita! Be sure to tag me in your photos with the hashtag #CupofOjCocktail. Discover all of my monthly low carb cocktail recipes, and stay tuned for a brand new recipe next month!