If you’re here for the boos, do I have just the thing for you! 👻 I’m excited to announce a fun twist to this month’s low carb cocktail, or OCT-tail if you will. 😜🎃
I made not one, not two, but three low carb cocktails to enjoy all spooky season long! But that’s not all… For the first time EVER, I’m joined by Ciara from Balance & Bolus to create THREE haunting recipe pairings to go with each cocktail. So without further ado, please enjoy the spookiest, the scariest, the yummiest Halloween cocktail + recipe pairing there ever was!
maple Pumpkin Pisco Sour
A low carb seasonal twist on the classic Pisco Sour, this Chilean Brandy paired with a low sugar maple syrup and a few classic fall spices add a touch of subtle sweetness to the classically sour notes of this cocktail.
- 2oz of Pisco (I used Capel Chilean Pisco from Top Shelf Wine & Spirits)
- 1oz of low carb/no carb maple syrup (I used Lakanto Maple Syrup, but you can also sub this out for a Stevia simple syrup)
- 3/4 oz of lime juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp of pumpkin spice seasoning
- 2-3 dashes of Cardamon bitters
- Combine and shake Pisco, maple syrup, lime juice, egg white, and pumpkin spice seasoning in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Strain and pour into a chilled coupe glass.
- Top with a few dashes of Caramon bitters and garnish with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie seasoning. Enjoy!
CINNAMON SPICED Vodka PEAR CIDER
This might be my favorite cocktail creation i’ve made to date. The subtle sweetness of pear, mixed with familiar spices of the season instantly transport you to a cozy fireplace in the middle of fall. You’ll want to bring this out for every occasion throughout the holiday season, trust me.
- 1.5 oz of Pear Vodka (I used Wild Roots from Top Shelf Wine & Spirits)
- 3 oz of homemade pear cider (ingredients below)
For the pear cider:
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of stevia
- 2 peeled pears
- dash of allspice
- dash of cloves
- dash of nutmeg
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- dash of orange peel
- 2-3 star anise
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1-2 star anise
- Add pear cider ingredients to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Shake pear cider and vodka in a cocktail shaker over ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice. Garnish with a slice of poached pear, cinnamon stick, a sprig of thyme, and star anise. Enjoy!
Spooky & Spicy Chocolate Chile Cocktail
I’ve done it… I’ve created a low carb CHOCOLATE drink! 😍🍫 Ancho Reyes is a Mexican Chile Liquor packed with the perfect mix of spicy and sweet. It’s a delicious treat to drink neat, but mixed with the right ingredients, is out of this world!
- 1.5 oz of Chile Ancho Liquor (I used Ancho Reyes Liquor from Top Shelf Wine & Spirits)
- 1 oz of a low carb chocolate syrup drizzle (you could either melt a low carb baking chocolate like Lily’s or use Lakanto Chocolate Syrup)
- 3oz of heavy cream
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder
- a dash of cinnamon
- To melt chocolate: add half a cup of water to a small pot, place a glass bowl on top of the pot. Place the chocolate in the bowl and heat over low heat until chocolate is fully melted.
- Using a spoon, drip melted chocolate along the inside of a chilled martini glass. Turn the glass while you drip the chocolate for a swirl effect.
- Combine liquor, chocolate, cacao powder, cinnamon, and cream in a cocktail shaker. Shake until frothy.
- Pour into the chilled martini glass and top with grated chocolate pieces. Enjoy!
Optional: Add stevia to the shaker to add sweetness.
We’ve paired this spooky sip with Ciara’s Persimmon Banana Walnut Muffins with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. Find the recipe on Balance & Bolus here.
Be sure to tag me in your photos with the hashtag #CupofOjCocktail, discover all of my monthly low carb cocktail recipes, and stay tuned for a brand new recipe next month!